August 23, 2014

3D Printer Progress

Despite the lack of posts on the subject, progress is slowly being made on my 3D printer. A few months ago I got the structure pretty well flushed out in CAD. As sized in the model, this allows for something more than a 12 inch diameter build area. The height of the build is limited by how long I want to make the drive axes, in this version I targeted 12 inches tall.




As part of the Smart BLDC Commutator development I needed something to hold the hall sensor board in the correct position relative to the motor. With the CAD model far enough along I went ahead and had the motor mounting plate made by a friend with a CNC machine in his garage. You may recognize it from the videos I posted.


As I neared the end of the Smart BLDC Commutator development I started putting together a shortened version of the drive axes (shortened because it's cheaper and I want to work out all the bugs and make any unforseen design changes).


I'm trying hard to keep the number of custom parts too a minimum, but there are a few that require machining. The two trapezoidal plates on either end, the black carriage in the middle (that piece could probably be 3D printed), the threaded rod has some modifications on either side, and the motor has a new drive shaft to extend out the bottom of the motor. I plan on releasing the mechanical drawings and CAD files for all these components, and depending on interest I may even try to find a source for them.

The frame of the printer is made from extruded aluminum t-slot rails. I'm using the 80/20 brand because I already work with one of their vendors at my job. I was just going to buy a piece long enough for the one drive axes, but that didn't meet their minimum order amount, so I ordered a few of the other pieces, too.




My next task is to work on the system identification of the drive axes, which in layman terms is getting an equation that approximates how the position responds to a given input to the motor. Once I have that I can start coding the closed loop controller and tweaking it to get the very best position accuracy I can. I'll start posting code and videos as I get it figured out..

11 comments:

  1. Nice job....really good post....thanks to sharing these information....
    SYS technologies Co., Ltd

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post. We Stock both New and Refurbished

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.. printer rental prices

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graceful written content on this blog is really useful for everyone same as I got to know. Difficult to locate relevant and useful informative blog as I found this one to get more knowledge but this is really a nice one.
    SuperServer 5019C FL

    ReplyDelete
  5. LINKYO Compatible Toner Cartridge Replacement for Brother TN660 TN-660 TN630 (Black, High… . ... E-Z Ink (TM) Compatible Toner Cartridge Replacement For Brother TN630 TN660 High Yield… . ... Brother Monochrome Laser Print more helpful hints

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. 3d stl models for cnc

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog website is pretty cool! How was it made ! Markforged 3D Printers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks. 3d models for cnc

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. 3D STL models for cnc

    ReplyDelete
  10. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. renting impresoras alicante

    ReplyDelete